Car Builder Forums
IRL rides - Printable Version

+- Car Builder Forums (http://www.stuner.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Car Builder (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: IRL rides (/showthread.php?tid=80)

RE: IRL rides - HeyDayJordan - 04-06-2016 09:35 PM

Ok, so keen on this rat-rod project on the Mazda. Once I get back from my Philippines trip next month I will be respraying the car in matte green. Plastidipping the wheels in white tomorrow. Don't have much money for proper stuff atm. Still saving for a roof basket & coilovers.

RE: IRL rides - HeyDayJordan - 04-06-2016 11:33 PM

Rough idea of how the Mazda will eventually look. Paint job is happening next month. Already have the wheels. Just need to paint them white.
Can't wait guys! This is seriously finally happening!
[Image: 1602_zpsniczpbfb.jpg]
[Image: 1603_zpsdsa8tpe2.jpg]

RE: IRL rides - kojiii_san - 04-07-2016 02:53 AM

Damn Jordan, I'm also liking the new look of yours Smile Good luck on the project and enjoy the Philippines!

RE: IRL rides - AllOfTheCars - 04-07-2016 03:14 AM

(04-06-2016 11:33 PM)HeyDayJordan Wrote:  Rough idea of how the Mazda will eventually look. Paint job is happening next month. Already have the wheels. Just need to paint them white.
Can't wait guys! This is seriously finally happening!
[Image: 1602_zpsniczpbfb.jpg]
[Image: 1603_zpsdsa8tpe2.jpg]

Sounds sick!! If you want white though, it might be more beneficial to you to actually use paint on the wheels just because you will be cleaning them constantly, and it is almost impossible to clean brake dust off white plastidip... You won't be able to get them truly white again... I know this from experience... Sanding down the wheels and using rattle cans on them is about just as expensive, but the results will be much better... I did that with mine, and I regret nothing (they didn't end up perfect, but they look pretty good, and they look perfect from far away). You don't have to take my advice, but IMO, it is a much better thing to do... Just my 2 cents Smile

Also, are you dipping the car or are you painting it? I want to know what technique you are doing because when I paint the Legacy, I want to know what the best option is whether to bondo and fix the rust, or to just put tape over it and plastidip it... Other than that it should look sick... Any plans for a mouth or something like that? Smile
[Image: Creative-personality-car-stickers-garlan...e-door.jpg]

RE: IRL rides - HeyDayJordan - 04-07-2016 09:42 AM

I'm plastidipping my current wheels atm, but am actually getting the other set painted. Car will be sanded and painted with rattlecans. Just need a new rear door.
I was thinking about the spitfire look. Not sure yet. We'll see. Just had some inspiration from this car:
[Image: 12928322_1018456868200562_19212487668598...siwmkb.jpg]

RE: IRL rides - K's Garage - 04-07-2016 10:04 AM

(04-07-2016 03:14 AM)AllOfTheCars Wrote:  and it is almost impossible to clean brake dust off white plastidip... You won't be able to get them truly white again... I know this from experience...

Use a brake dust cleaner, and a pressure washer.

(04-07-2016 03:14 AM)AllOfTheCars Wrote:  Also, are you dipping the car or are you painting it? I want to know what technique you are doing because when I paint the Legacy, I want to know what the best option is whether to bondo and fix the rust, or to just put tape over it and plastidip it...

I know you didn't ask me, but wot, were is the rust and are you just gonna plastidip around it? wtf. def don't just plastidip over it either. At the very least sand it down and smash out some layers of rust killer on it first, if its not serious rust.

Either way fix that shit first.

RE: IRL rides - AllOfTheCars - 04-07-2016 12:33 PM

(04-07-2016 10:04 AM)Ks Garage Wrote:  I know you didn't ask me, but wot, were is the rust and are you just gonna plastidip around it? wtf. def don't just plastidip over it either. At the very least sand it down and smash out some layers of rust killer on it first, if its not serious rust.

Either way fix that shit first.

I was thinking that I would just sand it down and throw some duct tape over it before I plasti dip it just because I got quoted way too much to fix it, and that would look better than uneven bondo all over. I am not sure yet though. I might just fix the rust and stick with the OEM paint for now even though it is completely trashed

RE: IRL rides - K's Garage - 04-07-2016 04:59 PM

Cant say duct tape idea wont work but it doesn't sound like a good idea either.

if you don't want to fix the rust properly at least just sand it down, buy some crc rust converter (or whatever the equivalent is where you live) just slap it on every piece of rust you find shits not magic but it will prime the surface and stop the spread of the rust somewhat, on the surface layers at least.

If its all advanced rust then get that shit fixed, your paint can wait but deep rust is like literal car cancer its only gonna spread.

RE: IRL rides - AllOfTheCars - 04-08-2016 01:22 AM

(04-07-2016 04:59 PM)Ks Garage Wrote:  Cant say duct tape idea wont work but it doesn't sound like a good idea either.

if you don't want to fix the rust properly at least just sand it down, buy some crc rust converter (or whatever the equivalent is where you live) just slap it on every piece of rust you find shits not magic but it will prime the surface and stop the spread of the rust somewhat, on the surface layers at least.

If its all advanced rust then get that shit fixed, your paint can wait but deep rust is like literal car cancer its only gonna spread.

Alright... Most of it is just surface rust that I plan on sanding down anyways... There is one spot where it looks like there is bondo already, and there is slight rust there... I will definitely need new rockers because those are completely rotted out, and my fender is starting to get some too. I also have a hole in one of my door places that will need to be fixed. My drivers side door will probably need to be replaced as well. (That hole is the only major area I am super concerned about right now even though you can't see it because that is the area that grew over the winter. And the fender did as well.)

RE: IRL rides - HeyDayJordan - 04-11-2016 12:06 AM

Found a door! Big Grin Might pick it up tomorrow! Also, my old Mazda is getting pick up by a bro. So, less car yard looking driveway. Just need to visit a body shop to get the holes in the roof & boot welded. :O So good. & just found out a friend is buying a MK7 Golf worth $160,000 for $40,000 from his friend. So good. Huge list of mods on that thing. Still not sure on option to slam the Mazda yet though. Want fully adjustable coils, but no idea where to get rear camber plates. Tongue